Thursday, April 29, 2010

Progress Thursday 4/29

Alright as I've said before, I have gotten to a stopping point and now I'm just fine tuning everything to make it feel as much like an actual playable game rather than a high school student's final project for a first attempt.

Progress:
I have now successfully gotten the super() function stuff working and the splitterDemon inherits all the functions from enemyDemon plus the code I've added myself. Now that that's done and completed, my main focus is going to be finishing the laserDemon, laserSplittingDemon, and then the splitterDemon's 2 little spawns. Once that is completed, I'll just add graphics. To sum this all up in a visual way to help you understand it a bit better, here is a table.

Up-coming things to look for:
  • laserDemon, laserSplittingDemon, and splitterSpawnDemon
  • Graphics (definitely will get those before the due date)
  • A file reader so I can create multiple levels with different amounts of each demon
  • A scoring system (updated at the top of the screen at all times)
  • Lives counter (possibly part of the scoring system somewhat like how the top down shooter looked but a different feel)
Anything else that I might have said in a previous post is also included if it hasn't already been completed. I have some ideas in mind for things not listed up there, possibly power ups? Maybe even different difficulty levels or game types like survival and how many enemies you can kill with a limited amount of ammo (having the enemies randomly drop ammo so if you are good you will always have SOME ammo). I'm not totally sure if I could get to these steps by the due date, but they are fun things to toy around with once I get the full thing created. My main priority is getting the last bit of demon files created and functioning on their own, then updating graphics. Once that is all done, I'm focusing on making a file reader that will do everything for me so I can just put all the levels into a file and play from there. Once that's done, I'll tinker with the gameplay mechanics and look of the game (score system and lives counter).

2 comments:

  1. Great thinking, Matt! Keep up the good work, and the detailed updates. I remember that one of the graphics challenges was bringing in the enemies from both sides of the screen. Are you still thinking of doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be really fun, but I would rather spend time on getting a scoring system and stuff like that in my game before I start tinkering with having the enemies come in from both sides of the screen.

    ReplyDelete