Thursday, April 22, 2010

Beginning of Project (late)

I started out picking the game Demon Attack (or something along the lines of Demon something). It seemed to be a basic concept for a game. It had a similar feel to space invaders and since I enjoyed remaking space invaders in Flash last year, I felt it was necessary to pick the game.

For the first day of actual coding, I just wanted to get a playable character who could move and shoot. The graphics didn't matter to me so I just made black squares with the dimensions of the actual rectangle I wanted and dealt with it. (Important to all who make games I PROMISE)

But ya, that was the first day. I got my character to continuously move across the screen as you hold down the left or right arrow key. Then I got him firing only 3 bullets at a time. The reason for that is, in the original, you can only shoot 1 bullet at a time and I thought that was kinda stupid because you really had to pick and choose your shots. (I might go back to 1 bullet only if the game seems too easy).

Later to come:
  • Enemy Ships
  • Having Enemy ships keep changing their movement pattern for only a little bit and coming back so they stay near the same place, but moving slightly to avoid some bullets.
  • Enemy Bullets
  • Collision checks for my bullet and enemy bullets
  • Graphics
Optional Ideas for after the main thing is done:
  • Adding a file reader so I can just create more levels easily by making a spread sheet

1 comment:

  1. Looks good, Matt! Keep us informed! I like the idea of the file reader - it should add some nice complexity to the game.

    ReplyDelete